An insurance benefit (zorgtoeslag) can be obtained if:
- you are at least 18 years old,
- you have and pay health insurance in the Netherlands,
- you work for a Dutch employer.
Income limits on the insurance benefit.
Single persons - € 30.481 gross per year
Marriages and partners - € 38,945 gross per year
Single persons - € 31.138 gross per year
Marriages and partners - € 39,979 gross per year
The benefit can be obtained in two ways:
- Afterwards – at the end of the year or in the beginning of the year following.
This is a safe method for you if you have worked in the Netherlands seasonally and not all year round, because you know the income of the previous year in the following year. The deadline for applications under this system is 31 August of the following year; for example, for the year 2020, it will be 31 August 2021. However, if you apply for your allowance after 1 April, the tax office officially has 3 years to decide on your allowance.
- In advance – Every month, based on the declared income, the insurance benefit is paid in advance.
This is a more risky method. If it happens that you have earned more income than declared at the beginning or have not worked for 12 months, but only a few months that year, then for every month you have taken an advance payment to which you were not entitled, you will have to return it to the Dutch tax office. Applications in advance can be submitted each moment of the year for which you want to receive it.